Guests catch you by surprise? Run out of time to deep-clean before company arrives? Keep these tips in mind for those last-minute cleanup needs, just in time for Thanksgiving and the holiday season!
Quickly Clean the Entryway & Living Room
In areas your guests won't stay long (like the entryway) or where you can dim the lights (like the living room), don't worry about deep cleaning: Just concentrate on picking up clutter and relocating big items.
- Clear clutter from surfaces, corners and more. Store away shoes, jackets, mail, toys and more.
- Neatly stack magazines and newspapers in a basket or end table.
- Straighten up couch cushions and pillows; fold and drape blankets.
- Run a lint roller over seating options (like recliners and sofas) for pet hair.
- Use a cloth or Swiffer to quickly dust off surfaces and the TV.
- Pick up any droppings or dust bunnies from the floor if you don't have time to vacuum.
Concentrate Most on the Bathroom
You can ignore the shower, but make sure you give the toilet, counter and sink in your bathroom some attention. This space will be seen most by guests ... and is one of the easiest places for dirt and grime to collect.
- Clear the counters and back of the toilet and stash belongings under the sink or in a drawer. (Think cosmetics, hair tools, toothbrushes, etc.)
- Change the towels (especially the hand towels) for clean ones.
- Use disinfectant spray or wipes on the sink, faucet and the outside of the toilet.
- Clean the toilet bowl with cleaner and scrub with a brush.
- Use a vinegar spray or a solution like Windex to wipe water marks off mirrors.
- Empty trash cans.
- Stock toilet paper.
- Close the shower curtain/door.
- Shake out the rug.
Wipe Down the Kitchen
If you're like a lot of people, the kitchen is your go-to for entertaining. Make sure surfaces and tables are wiped down and ready for food, friends and more.
- Clear counters of unused appliances and wipe down to remove grime.
- Once cooking is complete, use a degreaser to wipe down the sink and faucet to make them shine.
- Wipe off the backsplash, stainless steel appliances and other spots that are magnets for food splatter and fingerprints.
- Wipe down tables and chair.
- Replace used dishtowels with clean ones.
- Broom-sweep the floor.
- Empty the trash.
Add Some Final Touches
Have just a few more minutes? Put on the finishing touches with these final tips.
- Light candles throughout your home (in spaces guests will be in).
- Dim the lights where possible.
- Grab the beverages and snacks.
- Have fun!
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Brick & Corbett!